Thursday, May 6, 2010

Huma Yahya: Benazir Bhutto Scholarship MBA

"I did my Bachelors in Business Administration (BBA) at Pakistan Air Force - Karachi Institute of Economics and Technology (PAF - KIET), from 2001-05. I got a 3.18 cumulative GPA. During this time I acted as Module Leader (Principles of Marketing). I also organised all the business and computer sciences seminars as part of the team. I loved participating in declamation contests at university, which has helped in improving my communication skills to quite an extent.

I was born in the Karak region. As my father was in the Air Force, we travelled and lived in Iraq, France and Pakistan (mainly Karachi). I spent all my holidays in Karak, Northwest Frontier Province (NWFP). My brother inspired me to go abroad to study as he was awarded a scholarship to study at Yale and enjoyed his experience. I am the second person (after him!) from Karak to go to university on a scholarship. I was ecstatic when I was awarded the Benazir Bhutto scholarship to study for a Masters in Business Administration at London Met and I’m very grateful for this opportunity.

My parents, especially my mother, influenced me to study. She studied part-time, after getting married with three children to look after, despite this not being encouraged in Pakistan at that time, and she got her Masters degree! My mother-in-law also always encouraged me to study further as she was also one of those people who did a masters degree at a time when it wasn’t possible. Last but not least, my husband has been a tremendous support during my studies. I could not have done this course without his espousal.

I worked at M. Communications (advertising agency) as a Client Service Executive, when they first started out. Later I moved into the Media department and worked as a Media Executive. I learned about print and electronic media distribution there. Then after a year I was promoted to Client Service Manager. After this I moved to Sony Ericsson and was Assistant Manager - Marketing for around a year.

I would like to help other outstanding students to go on to university. It often is very difficult for students in Pakistan to go abroad to study because of financial difficulties. I would like to build up a network of organisations that will sponsor deserving students to go on to Higher Education, as it will make a huge difference in their lives. London Met has provided me with a huge opportunity by awarding me this scholarship and I, in turn, hope to be able to assist others in future, in a similar way."(http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/)